After the death of Zarragoytía, around 1833, the tower remained abandoned for several years. Following the burning patriotic Bayamo by his own sons, the January 12, 1869, Spanish troops occupied the city and settled in the headquarters under the command of Count Valmaseda.
Between terror and blood was built there a military fortress known as Fort Spain, where during the wars of independence many patriots kept prison and others were shot, as happened on July 7, 1880 with the Patriots Pio Rosado Lorie, Felix Morejon, Enrique Varona Natalio Argenta.
At the opening of the pseudo-republic, the traitorous government of Tomas Estrada Palma found abandoned and semiderrumbado headquarters, beginning the restoration on March 8, 1907, he is conditioned to hold back the constitutional army; finished the work he was named Carlos Manuel de Cespedes.
Thus it inaugurated the new premises for the stage pseudorepublic common to all quarters of the country, murders, torture, rape and abuse.
The military barracks regular rectangle shaped, occupied an area of 14 335 square meters. It had several buildings, polygon, wire fences, interior streets and gardens, in whose offices the captaincy, the quartermaster, jails, nursing, dormitories, officers’ club, kitchen, bathrooms, were official, barber, leather, woodworking, garage, radio, stables for horses and a sentry box at the bottom.
The headquarters was the headquarters of the holding of Bayamo, which controlled the Jiguaní and Veguitas and also had jurisdiction over the positions of the Rural Guard of Guise, Rio Cauto, Baire, Maffo, Bueycito and Mabay.
The triumph of the Revolution on January 1959, Carlos Manuel de Cespedes barracks serves as a small Rebel Army Hospital and later used as a workshop and warehouse construction.
In 1963 consequences of the rains left by Hurricane Flora there was a short circuit caused a fire that affected much of the property, leaving only vestiges of the barracks and Carlos Manuel de Céspedes the two towers, part of the loophole wall and former officers’ club.
Since the inauguration of the headquarters to date have been executed reconstructions in 1960, 2003 and 2013, respecting the original values of the premises.
The July 26, 1978 is inaugurated Museum Nico Lopez, which is the history of assault made by the youth of the Centennial Generation, the July 26, 1953, reflected through photos, objects and models, as well you can see the solution given by the revolutionary government to the ills afflicting our people.
The former estate became a beautiful park for the enjoyment of the people, where political acts are performed, graduations, characterized spaces for children and young people with the aim of creating an attitude of respect for our heritage.
By Resolution 193, dated February 10, 2004, it was declared a National Monument, named after Antonio Lopez Fernandez (Nico), assailant to the barracks and Granma expeditionary.
Translated by: Daysi Olano Fernandez